Fun and Useful Guinea Pig Accessories for Your Pet
The following accessories all have one thing in common; they will improve your guinea pig's quality of life in some way.
Open crocks just don't cut it when it comes to keeping fresh water available for your pet. They're easily knocked over, and they quickly become filled with bedding and droppings. A bottle provides a clean source of drinking water for your pet.
- Lixit Water Bottle: The Lixit bottle holds 16 ounces of water, and it has a cute turtle float inside to remind you when the water level is getting low. It's available in translucent green or blue, and it retails for about $5.
- Super Pet Chew Proof Water Bottle: This 12-ounce Chew Proof water bottle can be hung inside or outside of your pet's cage with the sipper tube inserted through the bars. The tube has two ball bearings to keep it from dripping when it's not in use. A floating duck helps you clearly see the water level inside. This bottle provides plenty of water for a single guinea pig, but you might want to consider a larger bottle or more than one bottle for multiple pets. The bottle retails for about $7.
Guinea pigs are notorious for knocking over their food dishes and getting pellets and hay all over their cages. The right feeders can reduce this problem and keep your pet's cage tidier and his food more sanitary.
- Ware Plastic Slide-N-Lock Crock: This crock is perfect for pets that like to chew as it's made of heavy plastic and will take a lot of wear and tear from your pig. It locks onto the side of any cage and is spill-proof. The crock holds about ten ounces of food, and it's priced around $8.
- zswell Hay Food Bin Feeder: Timothy hay is one of the best foods for a guinea pig, but it gets scattered and soiled quickly if you just toss it into his food dish. A hay rack holds the hay up out of your pet's bedding, and he can easily pull out strands to feed on. It comes in several attractive colors and retails for about $14.
Guinea pigs tend to leave their droppings in a corner of the cage, and the mess usually gets scattered when they run around. A litter pan can really help contain the mess, and you can also save on the cost of bedding since you don't have to replace it as often.
- litter pan locks onto the cage so your guinea pig can't push it around or tip it over. The high back keeps the litter in the pan instead of on the floor around the cage. The pan measures a roomy 14 x 13 x 9 inches, and it costs just under $11.
- Ware Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Pan: The Ware litter pan fits perfectly into your pet's favorite corner, and it locks securely onto the cage bars so it stays in place. The grid floor keeps the litter in the pan instead of your pet's bedding. The regular-size pan measures 12-3/4 x 9-1/4 x 6 inches, and that's a good fit for most guinea pigs. It sells for about $8.
Guinea pigs love to interact with their people, but they also like to have a special place where they can go and feel protected. A hide away gives them a place to nap and hang out when they want some privacy.
- Edible Snack Shak Natural Hide Away: This adorable hide away hut does double duty, so it's a great choice if your pet's cage is a little short on space. He can snuggle inside and sleep and then have a fun snack whenever he feels like it because it's made from alfalfa and golden honey. Simply replace it when he needs a new one. The large hut measures 10 x 11 inches, and it's priced at about $15.
Toys and Chews
Toys and chews enrich your pet's environment and keep him from being bored, and chews also keep your pet's teeth from over growing. Offer a variety of toys and chews and rotate them regularly to keep the fun fresh.
- Peter's Woven Grass Ball: This grass ball is made for rolling, chewing, and tossing. Your pet will get plenty of exercise while playing with it, and chewing on it is good for his teeth. It's priced around $8.
- Willow Branch Ball: A willow branch ball is an especially fun chew toy your pet can roll around his cage. He can satisfy his urge to chew, and he'll get exercise every time he plays with it. This ball measures approximately four inches in diameter, and it sells for about $4.
Whether you need to take your pet to the vet or you just need a safe place to keep him while you clean his cage, a carrier is the ideal place for him.
- fabric-covered carrier has a nylon liner for easy cleaning. There's plenty of ventilation, and two zippered doors for easy access. The additional storage pocket gives you a place to stash treats and other small items for your pet. The carrier measures 13.5 x 9 x 8.5 inches, so it's roomy enough for two guinea pigs. It sells for about $10.
- Hagen Living World Small Pet Carrier: The Living World carrier is made from chew-resistant plastic. It has a top door that locks, as well as a non-slip floor, and there's plenty of ventilation. The carrier measures 11.8 x 9 x 8.3 inches and is priced at $11.
You can use a playpen to extend your pet's living space, and you can even use it outside under close supervision.
- Midwest Small Animal Playpen: This 15-inch high pen comes with six panels and provides nine square feet of space for your pet. When your piggie is ready to go back into his cage, simply fold the playpen flat and put it away. It sells for less than $25.
- Piggie Playpen: This playpen comes with 12 panels and an absorbent pad to protect your floor. Color choices for the pen are black or white, and the pad is available in 21 different colors and patterns. The set sells for about $150.
If you have a C&C cage and really want to spoil your pet, there are a couple of accessories that can make his cage more comfortable and a touch safer.
- Fleece Flippers: These washable fleece liners are designed for cube and coroplast cages, and they discourage guinea pigs from chewing the coroplast floors and walls. They come in a wide variety of patterns, and the sets vary by size and the number of pieces included. Prices begin around $22 and run as high as $144 for the largest set.
- Ramp Cover: A ramp cover provides better traction for your guinea pig's feet as he travels from one level of his cage to the other. Each washable set comes with two walls covers and one ramp pad and costs about $24.
Enrich Your Guinea Pig's World
Your guinea pig depends on you for all his needs. Make his life a little richer by providing him with accessories that bring him comfort, fun, and convenience. He'll love it, and you probably will too.