Over 100 water dragon names can inspire you with the ideal choice for your pet water dragon. You may prefer a more traditional Chinese or Japanese name or find a modern name better fits your feisty critter.
Chinese Water Dragon Names
In Chinese traditions, the legendary dragons were gods that could shape shift into kings and vice versa. Some of the well-known Chinese dragon water gods or water-related dragons make great names for your water dragon. Many of the names end with long, depending on dialect, it is either pronounced as long or lung.
- Dilong (Dy-long) - Dragon god of rivers and seas
- Feilong (Fay-loong) - Dragon god of clouds and mists
- Heilong (Hēilóng) - Black dragon of deep, dark mystic waters
- Hong (hong, han-gah) - Rainbow dragon, serpent of the rainbows
- Jiaolong (Jiao, chiao, kiao -lung) - The crocodile dragon, rules over all aquatic animals, sometimes called Flood Dragon
- King of Wuyue (Wŭyuè) - Sea dragon king
- Longma (Lung-ma) - Dragon god of the Luo River, dragon horse or seahorse
- Longwang (Lung-wong, Long wang) - Dragon god of the seas
- Panlong (Pan-long) - Water dragon god that controls time
- Shen (shén) - Sea monster
- Shenlong: (Shén long) - Dragon god of thunder, controls the weather
- Wade-Giles: Heavenly dragon; palace guard and pulls chariots
- Yinglong (Yin long) - Dragon god of the rain and floods
Male Water Dragon Names
You may decide to go with your water dragon's gender. There are some fun playful male names that may be ideal for your little companion.
Unisex Inspiring Water Dragon Names
If you don't want a gender specific name for your new pet lizard, you may find a unisex name more fitting. This type of name is descriptive without identifying a specific gender.
Female Water Dragon Names
When it's time to name your female water dragon, a catchy lizard name may be the perfect choice. Your little dragon may reveal her unique personality as inspiration.
Fantasy Water Dragon Names
Your water dragon may be the ideal candidate for a fun fantasy name. Find a name that aptly describes your cutie pie.
- Darth Vader
Water Dragon Names Japanese
- Gojun (Gōjun) - Dragon King of the North Sea
- Gojun (Gōjun) - Dragon King of the West Sea
- Gokin (Gōkin) - Dragon King of the South Sea
- Goko (Gōkō) - Dragon King of the East Sea
- Mizuchi (Mi-tsu-chi) - Great water spirit or dragon
- Mizuchi (Miz-zu-chi) - A water god river dragon
- Naga (Nāga) - Dragon god of rain
- Nureonna (Nure-onna) - Dragon water god with woman's head known as Wet Woman, for washing her hair in the river
- Ryujin (Ryūjin or Ryōjin) - Dragon god ruler of seas and oceans.
- Toyotama-hime (toyo-tama-hee-may) - The Luminous Pearl Princess
- Vritra (Vri-tra) - The serpent dragon that blocked rivers
- Wani (Waan-iy) - Sea monster that is translated as both "shark" and "crocodile"
- Watatsumi (Wadatsumi, Wa.-ta-tsu-mi) - Sea god
- Zennyo Ryuo ( Zenn-yō, Ryūō) - A rain god
Mythical Ancient Dragon Names
Choose from a selection of inspiring water dragon names that are from ancient myths. Your water dragon's personality may be a great match.
- Apalala (Apalāla) - Sankrit name for water dragon
- Hydra (Hi-dra) - Greek for multi-head water dragon
- Knucker (Nuck-er) - Old English legend of water monster winged dragon
- Ladon (Lay-den) - Greek river god of dragons with 100 heads
- Leviathan (Le-vi-a-than) - Biblical demonic water dragon
100+ Water Dragon Names that Will Inspire You
You can find 100+ names for water dragons inspiring. When you review water dragon names, be sure it personifies your little pet.