Many people prefer to own cats and dogs, but other animal lovers need something a bit more exotic in their companion. Some people choose to own sharks as pets. They are not for everyone, but for a select bunch of pet owners, sharks make the best pet. These cool shark names capture the very essence of the creature.
Cool Shark Names Inspired by Color
Sharks come in several colors. Use the animals' natural marking to help you arrive at a pet shark name.
The harlequin sharks are brightly colored until maturity, don't tolerate others of their own species and will bully other bottom-dwelling sharks.
- Bull (for bully tendencies)
- Dom (domineering personality trait)
- Loneshark (prefers solitude)
Names for the Rainbow Shark
The rainbow shark is one breed of shark that can be kept as a pet. It has a sleek, dark body and a reddish-colored fin.
- Fancy Fin
- Skinny Minnie
- Vibes (vibrant coloring)
- Burgie (short for burgundy)
- Prism (ode to a rainbow)
Names for the Roseline Torpedo Shark
The roseline torpedo shark is another popular shark breed that is sometimes kept as a pet. It is multicolored, stripped, sleek, and very striking.
- Curious George (this species has an inquisitive nature)
Names for the Wobblegong
The wobblegong is one of the most common breeds of pet sharks. In the wild, they have camouflaged patterns that help them blend into the ocean floor.
- Wobert Kennedy
- Wobbie Williams (inspired by singer Robbie Williams)
- Cam (short for camouflage)
- Pokey (this type of shark might be classified as lazy)
- Tess (a great name for the Tasseled Wobblegong)
Names for the Bamboo Shark
The bamboo shark is one shark breed that makes for a good pet. They are nocturnal and typically have spotted or brown-banded patterns.
- Dusk (playing on his nocturnal tendencies)
Other Color Inspired Names
Many sharks have brown, silver, white, tan, black and grey colors that owners can use in naming.
- Shelly (for a shell-colored shark)
- Nanny (short for a yellowish banana colored pet)
- Buffy (for a buff-colored swimmer)
- Mousy (for a brown-colored shark)
- Hazel (hazelnut colored shark)
- Cole (word play on coal)
Cool Shark Names Inspired by Physical Traits and Personality
Sharks come in different shapes and sizes. They have interesting physical qualities that set them apart from many other creatures in the animal kingdom. Use some of those unique traits to arrive at a fun name.
- Jaggar (inspired by sharp, jagged teeth)
- Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson song, inspired by their smooth scales)
- Hawk (keen senses)
- Carter (because of their boneless bodies made of cartilage)
- Cardi B (rapper, again a play on their bodies made of cartilage)
- Sleepy (ironic, as sharks don't really sleep)
- Starvin Marvin (for sharks with an appetite)
Shark Names Inspired by Gods of the Underworld
The ocean is deep and unknowable, and sharks are masters of their domain. Use these names of Gods of the Underworld to help name your pet.
- Supay (in Incan culture; God of the underworld and death)
- Pluto (in Greek, God of the underworld)
Lucifer (name of Satan)
Pet Shark Names Inspired by Water
Sharks and ocean waters go together like peanut butter and jelly. Use the water in which the shark lives to help inspire some truly interesting and creative pet names.
- Davey Wavey
- Big Blue
- Este (short for estuary)
Fierce Female Shark Names
Female sharks are not all vicious, and some species are far more friend than foe. In honoring the typical characteristics of the shark, try on these savage monikers.
- Ruth (short for ruthless)
- Harley (short for comic character Harley Quinn)
- Aggie (short for aggressive)
- Tori (short for torrential)
- Adira (in Hebrew, it means strong and mighty)
- Bryndis (in Scandinavian, it means strong armor)
Maia (in Māori, it means brave warrior)
Meredith (in Celtic, it means protector of the sea)
Qadira (in Arabic, it means full of power)
Male Shark Names for Fierce Animals
By nature, sharks tend to be fierce creatures. Give your cool and unusual pet a ferocious name that suits the breed.
- Man-Eater (ironic because sharks rarely attack human beings)
- Goblin (type of shark, not pet material, but a shark nonetheless)
Cute and Funny Pet Shark Names
People don't usually associate sharks with cuteness, but the combination between a fierce predator and an adorable name is quite fetching.
- Nemo (Disney movie of the same name)
- Swim Shady (play on Eminem's Slim Shady)
- Jack Sparrow (pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Squirt (ironic for a larger shark species)
- Ariel (inspired by The Little Mermaid)
- Triton (inspired by The Little Mermaid)
- Flounder (inspired by The Little Mermaid)
- Ursula (inspired by The Little Mermaid)
- Fish Stick
- Sharkira (after singer Shakira)
- Gillian (because of the gills)
- Shark Walberg (play on actor Mark Wahlberg)
- Gill Murray (inspired by actor Bill Murray)
Names From Other Languages
The word "shark" in other languages makes for lovely pet shark names.
- Hai (fich) (German)
- Rekin (Polish)
- Squalo (Italian)
- Tubarão (Portuguese)
- Morski Pas (Croatian)
- Tauró (Catalan)
- Akula (Bulgarian)
Shark Names Taken From Pop Culture
Sharks have been featured in plenty of television shows and cartoons. These characters make for great pet names.
- Bruce (Finding Nemo)
- Chum (Finding Nemo)
- Anchor (Finding Nemo)
- Black Widow (Thundercats)
- Kenny (Kenny the Shark)
- Sharky (Eek the Cat)
- Baby (inspired by the famous kid's video, "Baby Shark")
- Lenny (Sharktale)
- Mako (City of Heros)
- Shark Cuban (Mark Cuban from Shark Tank)
- Mr. Wonderful (Shark Tank)
Fun Names for Sharks
Whether you're looking for a name for a pet shark, or you just want to give any shark a name, there are plenty of fun names for sharks. So try a few on for size and see which appeal to you - and your shark.