Pet Bird Overview
Keeping pet birds can be very rewarding, but caring for them is quite a responsibility. Before you bring one home, there are a lot of details you need to know about.
All About Keeping Birds
LoveToKnow's writers bring you information based their expertise and experience with keeping a wide variety of pet birds. In this category, you'll find useful information on the following topics.
- Different species: Parakeets and cockatiels are commonly kept as pets, but there are dozens more species to consider like finches, canaries, conures, lovebirds, and the list goes on. Once you have an idea of what's available and what each species' basic temperament is like, you can begin narrowing down your choices until you find the right one for you.
- Care tips: While a lot of the basics of bird care are the same, every species has its own particular needs. Get information about appropriate diets, housing, veterinary care, and more.
- Breeding birds: Learn about the basics of bird breeding, as well as important details about breeding specific species. Beyond that, find out how to hand feed chicks and raise them to be tame, loving pets.
- Training: Like other pets, birds also need training to help them become the best pets they can be. Not all species have the same potential in every area, but most can be tamed and learn how to step up on your hand, and some can even learn to talk a little and perform specific behaviors on cue. Positive interactions during training can help you form a closer bond with your pet.
- Accessories: Learn about cages, toys, different types of feeders and waters, perches, playstands, flight suits, and so much more.
Your Go-To Resource
No matter what you need to know about keeping pet birds, rest assured that you'll find reliable, accurate information right here. The goal is to help you make the most of your relationship with your feathered friends.