Traditional goldfish names like Goldie, Skipper, Blackie, and Bubbles have long been popular names chosen by fish owners. However, recent trends show many goldfish aficionados are naming their pets more creatively.
Goldfish With Human Names
It used to be a rare occurrence to find a pet named after a human like Roger, Fred, Myrtle, or Bertha, but now it's trendy to use baby names for fish.
Name your fish after an important man in your life or give him an ironic human name.
- Ace - Whether you're a Kiss fan or your goldfish just plain rocks, you can't go wrong naming it Ace.
- Adonis - This is perfect for the buff-looking fish, or it's an ironic name for a tiny guy.
- Butch - It's perfect for the bully type.
- Ebenezer - If you've got a grumpy fish, this name might suit him well.
- Eugene - Use a nerdy name for the scrawny or brainy Oranda.
- George - it's an average name for an average goldfish.
- Lewis - This is a great name for fish who loves to explore his surroundings.
Give your fish a feminine name that speaks volumes about her personality.
- Bertha - Robust goldfish might affectionately be called "Big Bertha."
- Edna - The old lady of goldfish, this name suits a pet you expect to live a long life.
- Gertrude - Call her "Gerty" for short.
- Olga - This name captures the stoic look of many goldfish.
- Sue - It's the female equivalent to George.
Celebrity Goldfish Names
Naming your aquatic pet after a famous person can be a great compliment or poke fun at pop culture.
Olympic Swimmer Names
Since fish are among the greatest swimmers in the world why not name yours after the human equivalent?
- Phelps - Named after USA Olympian Michael Phelps
- Lochte - Pay homage to the great Ryan Lochte
- Spitz - A spunky name for a spunky fish inspired by Mark Spitz
- Dara - This simple, yet uncommon name comes from U.S. swimmer Dara Torres
- Otto - Kristin Otto's last name works great as a first name for a pet
- Popov - Russian swimmer Alexander Popov lends his name to intense goldfish
Take a unique approach to the water theme and name your pet after a famous captain.
- Captain Jack Sparrow - Use the whole name or shorten it to Sparrow for the same effect.
- Ahab - Drop the "Captain" for a less obvious tribute.
- Captain America - He might not be a sea captain, but this Avenger name is ideal for a fish in top shape.
- Kirk - Only other trekkies will get that you didn't name him after a family member.
- Captain Morgan - Male or female, this name suits fish who like to have a good time.
- The Captain - Be sure to name his companion Tennille.
Famous Redhead Names
If you've got an orange goldfish, go for the obvious and name her after a famous redhead.
- Lucy - The funny-looking goldfish with this name gives a nod to comedienne Lucille Ball.
- Isla - This aquatic-sounding name is inspired by actress Isla Fisher.
- Florence - For the fish who likes to rock out, namer her after band Florence and the Machine.
- Ginger Spice - Take inspiration from the red-headed Spice Girl for a fish with a big personality.
- Rupert or Ron - Actor Rupert Grint is famous for playing Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films, so his real or character name will do. Name your whole tank after the red-headed Weasley family members: Molly, Arthur, Percy, Ginny, Fred, George, Bill, and Charlie.
- Prince Harry - Regal goldfish deserve a royal name like that of this ginger prince.
Animated Celebrity Goldfish
Just as you might name your child after your favorite celebrity, you could name your goldfish after your favorite famous goldfish.
- Cleo - Geppetto's pet fish from the movie Pinocchio is full of character and opinions.
- Darwin Watterson - This goldfish with legs from the show The Amazing World of Gumball is the epitome of an optimist.
- Dorothy - Elmo's pet goldfish is named Dorothy and is naturally cute and friendly.
- Fish Out of Water - This Chicken Little sidekick is a courageous goldfish living on land with a scuba helmet filled with water.
- Nemo - Although he's not a goldfish, Nemo is a famous orange fish.
- Ponyo - From the movie of the same name, this title character is a spin on Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
Funny Goldfish Names
A goldfish can live for quite a while if it is cared for properly, so give it a fun name you won't get tired of saying.
- Cheeto - Goldfish with lots of textures look like this cheesy snack.
- Fanny - It's a great name for your fantail.
- Google - Give your telescope goldfish this moniker because of its googly eyes.
- Nacho - As in "That's Nacho (not your) goldfish!"
- Peepers - This is another good name for goldfish with the huge, telescope eyes.
- Xtra Cheddar - This name describes a vividly orange fish and also one of the many flavors of Goldfish Crackers.
Cute Goldfish Names
Goldfish names are personal choices that usually mean a lot to the owner. Find inspiration for goldfish names in a baby-naming book, from orange foods and objects, or make a play on words of your fish's species or physical features.